Thursday, September 3, 2009

Featured Artist for the Week Courtney Turney of Hypercraftive

This week I would like to introduce you to another fellow St. Louis Craft Mafia member and a very talented artist.




Artist/Crafter Name: Courtney Turney

Art/Craft Specialty: Wool felting

Etsy shop: www.hypercraftive.etsy.com

Blog:
www.hypercraftive.blogspot.com

Photo site:
www.flickr.com/hypercraftive

Shops where you sell:
Cranky Yellow, Laumeier Sculpture Park

Upcoming Shows:
Strange Folk Festival, Big A$$ Indie Art & Craft Show

What is your artistic background: I've been creating all my life and I have a degree in fashion design. I don't draw very well so I stick to mediums that don't require it!

When did you learn to craft:
It all started when I would sit on the floor of my mom's sewing room and try to invent things with all her scraps.

How long have you been creating professionally:
1 year

Have you ever been published in a magazine, featured on television, etc.:
Featured artist in "Objectivity", Laumeier Sculpture Park's member magazine. Issue: June 2009

Do you teach art to other's? If so where:
I would love to, but I haven't yet

Can you briefly describe the process of creating your art: I knit and crochet free from items and then felt them using a wet-felting method called 'fulling'. I also felt old wool sweaters using the same method and then use a needle-felting technique to apply simple graphic images before turning the felted fabric into accessories such as cuffs and coasters.

What inspires you:
My children, the color wheel and simple icons.

When do you feel most creative:
When I sleep. That may seem strange, but I will wake up spontaneously, with some really cool ideas.

How does creating make you feel:
Relaxed

What other art inspires you: Paul Klee, Any Warhol, anything Bauhaus

What colors make you happy: Right now, it is bright jewel tones, but that'll change.

Do you listen to music while you create? If so what: Oddly, no.

If you were to pick a different medium or craft to specialize in what would it be:
metalsmithing, large and small

Do you have any favorite places to shop for supplies in the area: Any thrift store for the old and recyclables, Paste in Soulard (for my yarn). My favorite online store is ornamentea.com

What is/are your favorite magazine(s) related to your art/craft: I don't one, but www.printpattern.blogspot.com is my favorite place for inspiration.

What is your studio or workspace like: A big mess. I have 5 projects going with all the supplies spread out on tables, floor & bulletin boards at any given time. I call it the creative process, but it's really just an occupational hazard.

If you could have your dream studio anywhere in the world where would it be: In the alps, in a chateau

When did you first discover you were a creative spirit: I don't think I ever discovered. I always was and it was always encouraged.

What is your all time favorite creation:
I'm too fickle to pick just one. My favorite is always the one I just finished.

What is the best creative advice you have been given: If you love what you create, who cares what anyone else thinks.

What is the best creative advice you would give: Don't be afraid-this is why children are such great artists.

What do you really want people to know about you, your art and living a creative life: I have a day job and a family that I share my love with. I don't know what I would do with myself if I didn't have any of these 3 outlets in my life.

When you aren't creating, how do you like spend your time: on Facebook-don't judge me

Name and describe one person who has encouraged your creative spirit, and how have they inspired you: My husband, Mike Turney. He is an emerging artist himself and he has always stood firmly behind me in everything I do; encouraging and
loving and gentle



2 comments:

TheFancyLamb said...

Awesome! I love me some Hypercraftive!

sinnlighet said...

This is a lovely blog, in swedish 'en ljuvling'....

Regards from Agneta